Discuss Capital Structure and Cost of Debt Analysis.
Imagine that, as CEO of a hospitality and tourism company, you want to explore the cost of borrowing or using bonds to raise money, as well as the debt and equity structure of your company.
1. Choose a publicly traded company and its competitor in the hospitality and tourism industry sector.
2. Determine the market value and book value of equity for each company using their latest 10-K filings and Yahoo Finance.
3. Assume the book value of liabilities is the same as the market value of liabilities for each company.
4. Calculate the capital structure of each company using the two values of equity – the market value of equity and the book value of equity and liabilities.
5. Determine the cost of debt for each company, assuming the company needs to borrow money for 10 years, using the bond ratings provided by major credit rating agencies (S&P).
6. Use the 10-year Treasury bond rate as the risk-free rate in the calculation.
7. Write a brief report (1 page) summarizing your findings, including the capital structure, market value and book value of equity, and cost of debt for each company, and provide a critical analysis of the similarities and differences between your company and competitor’s capital structures and cost of debt. Include an explanation of the potential factors that may influence these differences. Grading Rubric:
1. Clear and concise summary of the capital structure, market value and book value of equity, and cost of debt for each company (20%).
2. Accurate and appropriate calculations for the cost of debt, capital structure, and market value of equity (30 %).
3. Thorough analysis of the differences in cost of debt between the two companies and explanation of the factors that contribute to these differences (20 %).
4. Insightful comparison and contrast of the capital structures of the two companies, taking into account their market value and book value of equity (20 %).
5. Clear and concise writing and appropriate use of sources (5 %).
6. Following the formatting guidelines (5%)
1. Use Arial, Times New Roman, or Calibri font with size 11 for the text and size 9-10 for tables.
2. Use single spacing and one blank line between paragraphs or different sub-topics.
3. Use 1-inch margins on all sides of the paper.
4. Include page numbers in the top right corner of each page.
5. Use APA style for references.
There are two primary sources of financing for a company: debt and equity. Debt is borrowed funds that must be repaid with interest over time, while equity represents ownership in the company. A company’s capital structure is the way it combines these two sources of funding to finance its operations and investments.
The cost of debt is the interest rate a company must pay on its borrowed f
Looking for a similar assignment?
Let Us write for you! We offer custom paper writing services
Analyzing a company’s capital structure and cost of debt is essential for investors and analysts. A high level of debt in a company’s capital structure can increase its financial risk because debt payments must be made regardless of the company’s profitability. If a company has too much debt and cannot meet its debt obligations, it may need to declare bankruptcy.
In addition, analyzing the cost of debt can provide insight into a company’s financial health. A company with a high cost of debt may be viewed as risky because it has a higher level of interest payments and may be more vulnerable to economic downturns or changes in interest rates. On the other hand, a company with a low cost of debt may be seen as financially stable and able to meet its financial obligations.
In summary, analyzing a company’s capital structure and cost of debt is essential for understanding its financial health and risk. Investors and analysts should consider the level of debt in a company’s capital structure, its cost of debt, and how these factors impact the company’s overall financial position.